I’m very excited to announce that I’ve published a pattern on Ravelry! It’s a scarf pattern and it’s available as a free Ravelry download.
The pattern started with a few skeins of hand dyed yarn I wasn’t sure what to do with. A lot of random multicolor yarn ends up as a linen stitch scarf, but I wanted to mix things up a bit. This scarf is knit on the bias using a slipped garter stitch pattern.
The resulting fabric is thick, and has a texture that’s a little bit of a cross between linen stitch and star stitch.
I started by swatching the stitch pattern. The slipped stitch garter pattern is one I had on my short list of stitches to try for a sweater dress I’m working on. The sweater dress pattern is on hold for the moment, I got a little too frustrated that my swatches were all coming out completely awful.
Ugh, I’m having PTSD flashbacks just looking at that hot mess.
Using multi-colored yarn is always a bit challenging for me. About 80% of the time it pools in ways I don’t like and then I end up hating the thing. Using a slipped stitch pattern helps break up the rows (since the previous color is carried up a row) and alleviates some of my frustrations.
The pattern is written for use with most any yarn weight, from fingering to bulky. Since I only made my version in worsted weight I did some math and some fudging to get the stitch counts for the other versions. Since scarves are not specifically sized I figured a little bit of wiggle in the finished dimensions is fine.
I took some notes while I was knitting the initial scarf, but not particularly good ones. I also made up a few things as I went along. Then when it was done I went back and tried to turn my notes into an honest to god pattern. It went OK, I thought. I sent the pattern to a few friends, and then in a moment of extreme hubris I decided to just upload the thing to Ravelry. I figured if anything was majorly wrong with it I’d correct it in a week or so when one of my friends finished theirs.
You can imagine my surprise when I saw that 69 people had downloaded my pattern in the first day.
I was even more surprised when someone sent me a message on Ravelry to say they were casting on!
I was slightly less surprised to find out the pattern was riddled with errors. Oops.
Thanks to some very patient debugging from that first knitter I have what I think is at least a vaguely coherent pattern.
I’m pretty excited to see what other folks come up with. There is already one Ravelry project with a photo!
Overall I’m really excited to have a [self] published pattern. I’ve got a couple others that I’ve designed for my own use, and the support I’ve gotten for this one has encouraged me to try to write out and publish more.